If you are ever asked about the world’s best religion, what would be your feedback?
Indeed, it is humanity, superior, and the best teaching of every religion!
As an indication and agreement to the welfare and humanity, volunteer fire service march towards the top of the list. This is because the volunteer firefighters deliver their heart and soul to saving the life of people.
But, the scenario of the volunteer fire service doesn’t work like the career of paid firefighters. Hence, conception arises like, is it worth being a volunteer firefighter?
Do volunteer firefighters get paid? No, if you provide volunteer fire service, you will not be entertained with any payments. However, though the job doesn’t allow you to be paid, you can choose it as a part-time job. You can create differences in society along with meeting some pocket expenses.
This guide will enlighten you entirely with the term volunteer fighter.
Also Read: Check out our other article about What Is Fire Department Funding?
Is it worth being a volunteer firefighter?
Of course, the noble profession of a volunteer fire service is appreciated and very much worthy. However, several reasons behind being a volunteer firefighter are so much worth it.
- Money doesn’t always count when it comes to being successful or worthy.
- Instead of remaining confined within oneself, being able to do something for others is a thing of pride and worth.
- One can take credits as a firefighter and work as part of this prestigious department without certification.
- The experience of such novel volunteer work will help you in future career buildup.
How do volunteer firefighters make money?
A volunteer firefighter doesn’t work or do their job in the sense of making money. Instead, they give volunteer service to the fire department community through the means of delivering social service. The volunteer service is provided for the sole purpose of helping without any salary or costs.
That is to say; they don’t make any money at all. The answer is no! They also earn something directly or indirectly in various forms. Some of the ways by which they earn from minor to a reasonable value are as follows:
1. Little stipends:
Mostly, they get a small portion payment through various means. This small portion of wages is received after every job or every week or month. It actually depends.
2. Annual bonus:
They receive a sum of worth at the end of the year from the fire department community.
3. Tip money:
They also earn money in the form of tips for the sake of their noble job and responsibilities.
Is a volunteer firefighter a real firefighter?
Yes, a volunteer firefighter is a real firefighter and doesn’t perform any more minor tasks than the certified firefighters paid in the department. However, they have to go through many more challenging activities that leave their life at the commitment of sacrifices. The volunteer firefighter and their position that makes them different from the firefighters that get paid are:
- A volunteer firefighter performs all the activities similar to professional firefighters but doesn’t get paid for the job.
- All the basic jobs and responsibilities of the professional firefighters are done in the volunteer service as well, but strategies and risk factors of the job are assessed to decide wheater to assign a volunteer or not
- The working hours of a volunteer firefighter are less than a paid firefighter.
Do American volunteer firefighters get paid?
No, it doesn’t matter which country, nation, or community a volunteer firefighter belongs to; they are not paid like a career firefighter. This is because of the name “volunteer,” which is why they are not getting paid.
So the jobs of the American volunteer firefighters and about them getting paid are mentioned:
- The volunteer firefighters serving in the USA also don’t get paid as they fit in the means of providing free service and giving their back.
- They don’t get paid or paid very little as the mean of bonus or tip.
- They remain satisfied with what they do and get returned from their noble activity.
Should you leave the volunteer fire service?
Absolutely no! Being a volunteer firefighter and working for the fire service is a lifetime honor. There are many benefits of serving as a volunteer firefighter in saving the life of people. However, there are many reasons why you shouldn’t leave the volunteer fire service are:
- If you are working in the volunteer fire service, you will indirectly work under a fire department station.
- When working as a volunteer firefighter, you build the opportunity of performing a noble task for human beings without any certification.
- You are saving the life of people yet getting an excellent opportunity to meet daily pocket expenses.
Why would someone be a volunteer firefighter?
- Suppose you are a person who has a different mentality than that of the regular lifestyle and goals. In that case, this unique job is for you.
- Suppose you want to establish peace and work for the betterment of humanity, saving lives. In that case, this job creates a beautiful platform.
- Money can’t buy you happiness. Some of us quench for inner peace. Volunteer fire fighting can ensure inner peace.
You might like also: Why Grooming Matter In Firefighters?
What are the duties of a volunteer firefighter?
If you think of the volunteer firefighters lacking behind in any means by those firefighters working being paid, you lack knowledge. The responsibilities and duties of the volunteer workers are indifferent to that of the career firefighters.
The responsibilities of the volunteer firefighter can be divided into several sectors mentioned below:
1. Working under the fire chief’s supervision:
The volunteer firefighters work under the unique guidance and directions of the fire department’s director. They have to perform all the tasks that are assigned to them. It’s a thrilling experience.
2. Advanced fire departmental works:
They are engaged in all sorts of advanced and risky activities that a genuine firefighter must need to get committed with. A volunteer also gets to know it closely.
3. Fire extinguishing:
They directly play the role of extinguishing fire remaining in the back position of the group. Many times, they are also seen leading their group through their performance.
4. Response against hazardous components:
Special precautions are taken against the sensitive and dangerous elements of the fire. They help in securing those elements from getting blasts or spreading of the fire.
If you want to learn more about A Day in the Life of a Volunteer Firefighter, watch this,
Do volunteer firefighter men get pensions?
Yes! Although they don’t have access to any salary, they have the absolute right to get pensions for their part of the noble task. Volunteer fire service workers get a sum of annual bonuses, little stipends, and allowances from their job. The pension system of the volunteer firefighters men is:
- There are opportunities for volunteer firefighters that are retired from their job through getting pensions.
- The number of pensions varies in several job sectors and the department under which the individual works.
- Specific fire departments provide extra pensions for their selected volunteer firefighters.
- The pension also depends on the level of benefits chosen by the volunteer firefighter in their respective departments.
You need not have to turn back about the fact that, despite being unpaid, the volunteer firefighters are paid with immense respect. You can’t measure this respect on any scale of this world.
Their ultimate sacrificing profession keeps their backs on the welfare of the people and society. Consider the article as the definitive guide to the firefighter’s diary. Don’t think twice to bookmark it for any of your future wants!