Is Windex Flammable? (Quick answer!)

Windex is one of the most common household items. Many people wonder if it can be used as an accelerant or fire-starter. Many such products are flammable, but some are less so than others.

Because it contains the perfect solution of alcohol, which dries out the skin and can cause burns when in contact with skin, it’s important to know if Windex has similar properties when exposed to flames or open flames.

Windex spray glass cleaner has been around for quite some time. Still, with recent concerns about flammability, many people wonder, Is Windex flammable?

No, Windex does not have the same ingredients as most liquids, which creates an opportunity for it to be flammable.

This article will answer all of your questions about Windex flammability in order to keep your house in tip-top shape.

Windex and it’s Ingredients

If you’ve ever wondered what Windex is, then wonder no more. Known for being a multipurpose cleaner and degreaser, this is one of America’s favorite household products.

cleaning window glass in Windex

The chemical formula of this cleaner is Isopropyl alcohol. Water, Ammonia (NH3), Ethanol (C2H5OH), Alpha-Terpineol, D-Limonene, and a few other ingredients are in much smaller quantities.

The exact amounts of these ingredients are not listed. It has about as many chemicals as other household cleaning products like Lysol or Comet.

It is used in many ways that including metal can cleaner, glass bottle cleaner, window cleaner,  countertop cleaner, multi-surface cleaner, and many more.

Despite its popularity and reputation as a multipurpose cleaning product, there have been questions about whether or not Windex is actually flammable. Let’s take a look at what we know about these burning questions…

Is Windex Flammable?

First, it’s important to note that the current formula includes isopropyl alcohol and acetone (the two main ingredients in Windex)and both have flashpoints. This means they can cause fires when exposed to flames, sparks, or very high heat.

Most commercial glass cleaners cleaning products containing these chemicals are labeled as flammable because of this risk.

However, the manufacturer company of Windex claims that it is not flammable and isn’t going to spontaneously combust into a fireball on its own because of how diluted it is with water.

Reasons Why Windex is not Flammable

Windex is a solvent. Solvents are chemicals that dissolve other materials. Because of its solvency, it will not burn like dry combustibles.

Still, it can be ignited by an ignition source or a strong electrical spark in an oxygen-rich environment. Some common examples of solvents are alcohol, acetone, and kerosene.

These types of chemicals give off fumes as they evaporate, which are very flammable. The fumes from Windex should be considered hazardous;

However, this does not pose a fire hazard if you follow safety precautions when using it because of how diluted it is with water.

Is there any flashpoint of Windex?

In order to understand what makes a chemical flammable, it’s important to understand what flashpoint is. As per the manufacturer’s Safety Data Sheet, the term flashpoint is not applicable for Windex because of the product type.

The flashpoint of a liquid describes its minimum temperature at which vapors will ignite within a certain percentage of concentration in air.

Liquids with a high flashpoint are safer to use and handle because they can be heated to very high temperatures before igniting (and catching fire).

As Windex hasn’t any flashpoint and autoignition temperature, it is completely safe for all kinds of uses. There is no fire hazard.

Is Windex safe for my children and pets?

Windex is safe for all household surfaces. However, if you are not sure about the safety of Windex, then you can always test it on a small area first to check whether it will be harmful or not.

If your children and pets use Windex, there is no need to worry because Windex does not contain any toxic ingredients that may harm them in any way.

Also, the fumes released during cleaning are very mild and non-toxic too. The components used in this product are completely safe for humans as well as animals, so I suggest using them without worries!

Why is Windex liquid at room temperature?

The reason Windex is liquid at room temperature is that it is a non-polar solvent. Non-polar solvents are those that dissolve both polar and nonpolar substances.

Polar substances are those that have a strong electric charge, such as water and oil. Non-polar substances don’t have a strong electric charge, which is why they can dissolve in polar substances.

Safety precautions while using Windex

Even if you’re pretty certain that Windex is nonflammable, it’s always best to play it safe.

  • First, avoid using it near an open flame or another heat source. It might not be as flammable as rubbing alcohol, but it could still ignite—and might isn’t good enough when a fire is involved.
  • Second, use protective equipment (like gloves and eye protection) when cleaning with that cleaner.
  • And finally, remember that alcohol, in general, can cause drying of skin and eyes; if used often or in high concentrations, Windex can also irritate your skin. So, even if you follow all these steps, don’t overdo it!

Cleaning products are meant to make our lives easier and more comfortable. If there are any signs of irritation after using Windex for any length of time, stop immediately and try another method.

  • Do not mix it with other household cleaners or chemicals; You can use alcohol glass cleaner or ammonia cleaners instead if this quite expensive cleaners.
  • Follow all directions written on bottles and containers when mixing chemicals together.

Watch the videos below about 6 Uses for Windex You Should Know on Youtube,

Frequently Asked Questions about windex

1. Is Windex a fire hazard?

Contrary to popular belief, Windex is not at all flammable. Actually, it’s one of only a few cleaning products that is nonflammable. That doesn’t mean you should go pouring your bottle on fire, though. Even if you have to clean up a fire, you don’t need to worry about using it!

2. Is Windex explosive?

That depends on how you define explosives. If by explosive you mean will explode in response to a spark, flame, flammable liquid, or heat source, then no: it is not explosive, at least not in the strictest sense of the word.

3. Is Windex toxic?

Though typically safe to use, some of its harsh chemicals are mildly toxic if ingested. The primary ingredients in Windex are water and a cleaning solution consisting of ammonia and isopropyl alcohol. While neither ammonia nor isopropyl alcohol is considered toxic, they can be harmful if consumed in large quantities, so be sure to keep it out of reach of children.

4. Can I use it in my oven?

You may have heard rumors that it’s not safe to use in your oven. But according to the makers of Windex, there is no reason why you shouldn’t use it on any glass surface inside your home (including mirrors and windows). It doesn’t make sense that using a household cleaner inside your oven would cause a fire or explosion.

Final Thought

Although it seems like Windex glass cleaner would be flammable, that’s not really true. It can be an effective glass and window cleaner when used as directed. Other than that, do not overuse any cleaner, flammable solvent, oxide ammonium hydroxide, and never store huge amounts in a place with fire dangers.

If you have any queries regarding this analysis, leave a comment below-

important sources


Leave a Comment